thomas.sa...@fiserv.com (Savor, Thomas  , Alpharetta) writes:
> Management System or DBMS in 1983 when IBM >released DB2 on its MVS
> mainframe platform." -- Wikipedia, citing an IBM manual as authority.
>
> All these years, I've have only known of DB2.  The name seems to have stuck.
>
> Was there ever a DB1 ??
> Will there ever be a DB3 ??

The original sql/relational implementation was at SJR (bldg. 28 on main
plant site, using modified vm/370 on 370/145), System/R. History/Reunion:
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/
wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System_R
and another history
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/20/ibm_system_r_making_relational_really_real/
and
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rap/teaching/504/2010/readings/history-of-system-r.pdf

The official new DBMS project was EAGLE .... with the corporation
focused on EAGLE it was possible to get System/R out the door
as SQL/DS (under the radar).

When EAGLE imploded, there was a request about how fast would it take to
port System/R to MVS ... eventually released as DB2 (originally for
analytical & decision support *only*).

past posts mentioning System/R
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr
also referenced here
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/citations.html

The Birth of SQL
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95-The.html

Some discussion of EAGLE and then DB2
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95-DB2.html

I periodically reference this post about Jan1992 meeting in Ellison's
conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

one of the people in the meeting would tell how he was responsible for
the majority of the tech transfer into the Santa Teresa Lab (now silicon
valley lab) for DB2.

Jim Gray departs for Tandem palming off some number of things on me
... old email ref:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#email801016

Eventually IBM Toronto starts RDBMS for IBM/PC ... implemented in C ..
which is made available on other platforms and is also called DB2
... even though it is totally different code base from the mainframe
implementation.

SQL/DS is also eventually renamed DB2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_SQL/DS