PDS/PO has been enhanced over the years, including a specific abend code,
S213-30, to indicate that a PDS is already open for output when another task
tries to update it. AFAIK that test works only within a system or at most a
sysplex. But (shooting from the hip in my new post-employment mode) PDSE
gets additional protection by way of sysplex itself. This function was to
satisfy ancient customer  demand for additional data integrity. In other
words, if you want rock solid data integrity, move to PDSE and share it only
within a single sysplex.

Nothing says you'll die an immediate grotesque death by sharing partitioned
data sets among sysplexes, but you're venturing into dodgy territory. Like B
movie teenagers who don't see a problem with making out in the woodshed.
They may get out alive, but don't bet on it.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson