From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Eells
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:18 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Respack Volume Size Challenge

Lucas Rosalen wrote:
> As far as I have seen, it's quite simple: create a &SYSR2 symbol
> (using
> &SYSR1 and changing last char from 1 to 2, for example) and update
> MCAT accordingly.
> Once I've worked for a client that had 3-volumes respack. It indeed worked.
> We used to keep datasets like LINKLIB, MACLIB, NUCLEUS, etc in 1st
> volumes though...
<snip>

That's exactly what it was designed to do, and why we did it at the time.  Note
that SYS1.NUCLEUS (and IPL text) must be on the first volume, as must the
SYS1.SVCLIB data set.

Generally, if you can get enough on the volume to IPL, start JES, and log on,
you are far ahead of the game should you have to recover the system at some
point (including DR).

ServerPac's Recommended System Layout (RSL) automatic volume assignment process
will put NUCLEUS and SVCLIB on the first volume and "try" meet the second
objective too (assuming a local 3270 SNA terminal).

But it's certainly better to get a big enough volume to put all the target data
sets (yes, the version root and SMP/E target CSI too) on one volume, all
together.  ServerPac's RSL function will let you play with volume sizes to see
how large a volume you need very quickly and you can see the effects by
displaying what's on each volume if you have more than one.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie