To expand a bit more on our multi volume respack environment (as Skip points
out the biggest challenges were with the wetware and not the technical side).
We long ago decided to have minimal entries in the MCAT except for what ware
required to be in there OR were on the resvol sets. EVERYTHING on the Resvol
sets are cataloged with a symbolic or on 2 specific other packs.

Our maintenance design is to do SMP work in a sandbox environment to the
target/dlib datasets which are given Non Mcat Names and exist only in the
Maintenance environment (Actually there are 3 sets of these names to reflect
the 3 Maintenance environments (Sandbox/Dev/Prod)). From these target libs the
running system resvol sets are built using DFDSS doing dataset renames as
needed for the include/exclude process. Once IPL'd and tested the active resvol
set is then dumped and sent to the next Sysplex for pack builds (as all catalog
entries are symbolics no catalog changes are needed). When the resvol set is
active in the new Sysplex then the smp target & dlibs are also updated in the
original sandbox Maint environment to reflect the running set etc. etc.

This allows us to have maint environments that can a) be cloned, b)  have 3
concurrent level  of any particular set of software at the same time c) apply a
PTF to any specific environment as needed without disturbing the other
environments.

But the real key is to the whole kit & kaboodle that the MCATS only contain
symbolics  or aliases & then are locked down. Adding new volumes to the set is
easy - add a new symbolic.

Jerry Whitteridge
Manager Mainframe Systems & Storage
Albertsons - Safeway Inc.