On 25 August 2016 at 17:52, Janet Graff
<0000004dc9e91b6d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
> I don't know if I'm XPLINK or standard linkage.

The fact that your dump says DOWNSTACK DSA almost certainly implies
XPLINK.  In the LE Debugging guide where I went to verify this, there
is this interesting note under "Finding XPLINK information in a
Language Environment dump":

"It is important to understand that the registers saved in an upstack
DSA are those
saved by a routine that the DSA-owning routine called. Typically
register 15 is the
entry point of the routine that was called, and register 14 is the
return address into
the DSA-owning routine. In contrast, the registers saved in an downstack DSA are
those saved by the DSA-owning routine on entry. Register 7 is the return address
back to the caller of the DSA-owning routine. Register 6 may be the
entry point of
the DSA-owning routine."

Regardless, I don't think these are *your* registers at time of failure.

> Regarding overlays, anything is possible but it's highly unlikely.  I've been
> forcing dumps every couple of instructions to make sure things are clean. The
> registers in the downstack area don't all reflect the actual state of things
> when I force the abends.  Can do a LA R5,186 and the dump will still show R5
> containing all Beees.

>  I wish I could use TSO TEST but I don't know how to get it to run on a USS
> executable.

If you don't know TEST, I wouldn't start now... For one thing, the
support for anything 64-bit is somewhere between none and minimal. But
if you know TEST, then it should be possible to copy your executable
(program object in a UNIX file) into a PDSE member and then run it
under TEST. But then you won't have a UNIX shell, and who knows what
else may be missing; it may take you down a rathole. But I *have* done
this copy of a program that was written by non-MVS C programmers into
a PDSE and run it under TSO successfully, so at least that part can
work.

Good luck.

Tony H.