I'm not a lawyer, nor have I played one nor am I related to one. But I watch
them on TV and in movies. This is not to be taken as legal advice.

In the classic film Paper Chase, the inestimable John Houseman gives an
introductory lecture on contract law. The setup goes something like this.

Joe and Harry hit a bar. During a blurry conversation, Joe promises to give
Harry a hundred dollars. Shortly afterwards Harry calls on Joe to pay up. Joe
says hell no. Harry sues Joe for 'breach of contract'.

Per Houseman. The court does not deny that an oral contract can be legally
valid. Problem here is that Harry was not obligated to do anything in return,
so it was not a true 'contract', just an ill-advised offer with no legal
ramifications. Harry is SOL. Next case.

I look at these phony email declarations the same way. I was not offered
anything of value. You screwed up. There is no contract, no obligation on my
part. I do not owe you anything whatever. Sod off.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company