I'm actually kind of surprised at the number of sites that don't code the
OSA-ICC consoles as NIP available.  They were designed to function in that
manner, and you can then always have remote access (assuming you have a VPN).
If you don't have a VPN set up for your mainframe, you are just asking for
trouble.  If you do have one, then not using it to support the box seems very
silly indeed.

Setting up a separate PC (unless your box doesn't support the ICC consoles) is
really not necessary.

Brian