I read in places where IBM gives both pros and cons to running USS with a code
page other than 1047, if for example your 3270 terminal emulator is set to
Danish.   I also find instructions such as this, though I'm not sure if this is
all that is necessary to switch USS encoding:

I'm curious how common it is for people to system wide set USS to be in a code
page other than 1047 which matches their 3270 emulator?

If so, is this statement true for code points that don't match?  The shell
script will fail if it has $ or curly braces or brackets, etc., characters
outside of that cp.

What happens if I use putty or similar ssh client and then edit a shell script
using vi?  Would that be the same as using ISHELL to edit the same shell
script, and my 3270 emulator is set to 1143?

Apologies if my questions aren't clear, as this topic isn't very clear to me at
the moment.  Hopefully someone with experience with this will help me
understand it better.

Kind regards,
Lindy Mayfield