On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 17:26:47 +0000, Lindy Mayfield wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I read in places where IBM gives both pros and cons to running USS with a code
>page other than 1047, if for example your 3270 terminal emulator is set to
>Danish.   I also find instructions such as this, though I'm not sure if this
>is all that is necessary to switch USS encoding:
>
>http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.bpxb200/danish.htm
>
>I'm curious how common it is for people to system wide set USS to be in a code
>page other than 1047 which matches their 3270 emulator?

Eek!:

o Underreaching.  This ought to be as simple as the users' issuing the locale
command
  to choose their preferred character sets.

o The instructions seem to be for a system-wide setting.  What if you nave a
far-flung
  user base with one user preferring Danish (277) and another preferring Polish
(870)?

>If so, is this statement true for code points that don't match?  The shell
>script will fail if it has $ or curly braces or brackets, etc., characters
>outside of that cp.
>
>What happens if I use putty or similar ssh client and then edit a shell script
>using vi?  Would that be the same as using ISHELL to edit the same shell
>script, and my 3270 emulator is set to 1143?

Do tagging and autoconversion help?  Or is autoconversion limited to
819<-->1047?
(or is that actually 819<-->[site's configured locale]?)

>Apologies if my questions aren't clear, as this topic isn't very clear to me
>at the moment.  Hopefully someone with experience with this will help me
>understand it better.

ISPF Edit under ISPF 3.17 seems to deal splendidly with UTF-8 (at least when the
terminal code page is 1047 and all the UTF-8 characters are displayable).  But I
tried setting my terminal to Russian (880) and only Latin characters display
correctly.  Can't experiment much further.  My x3270 claims to support Finnish
(278),
Icelandic (871) and Norwegian (277), but not Danish.  Wait! the URL you cited
calls
Danish 277?  Are they the same?

Should some of this be on ISPF-L or MVS-OE?

-- gil