W dniu 2016-10-12 o 19:26, Lindy Mayfield pisze:

I read in places where IBM gives both pros and cons to running USS with a code
page other than 1047, if for example your 3270 terminal emulator is set to
Danish.   I also find instructions such as this, though I'm not sure if this is
all that is necessary to switch USS encoding:

I'm curious how common it is for people to system wide set USS to be in a code
page other than 1047 which matches their 3270 emulator?

If so, is this statement true for code points that don't match?  The shell
script will fail if it has $ or curly braces or brackets, etc., characters
outside of that cp.

What happens if I use putty or similar ssh client and then edit a shell script
using vi?  Would that be the same as using ISHELL to edit the same shell
script, and my 3270 emulator is set to 1143?

Apologies if my questions aren't clear, as this topic isn't very clear to me at
the moment.  Hopefully someone with experience with this will help me
understand it better.

Well, I always use non-US codepage on my 3270 emulator. Reason: I'm Pole, speak Polish, sometimes write Polish naational characters. ;-) Usually I use CP 870, but there is also similar codepage with EURO sign. For C programming I've used to use CP 1047 [brackets]. However we don't set anything in USS. It's not needed for text (with polish characters) writing or reading.

BTW: Polish codepage is a little bit tricky even on MVS side, REXX concatenation sign, usually called pipe: ||
In Polish 3270 I see exclamation, so I have to code !!
Note, the exclamation mark is not part of Polich characer set, it's just punctuation mark, like in other languages (maybe with exception for Spain)

Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Tre tej wiadomoci moe zawiera informacje prawnie chronione Banku
przeznaczone wycznie do uytku subowego adresata. Odbiorc moe by jedynie
jej adresat z wyczeniem dostpu osób trzecich. Jeeli nie jeste adresatem
niniejszej wiadomoci lub pracownikiem upowanionym do jej przekazania
adresatowi, informujemy, e jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie
lub inne dziaanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i moe by
karalne. Jeeli otrzymae t wiadomo omykowo, prosimy niezwocznie
zawiadomi nadawc wysyajc odpowied oraz trwale usun t wiadomo
wczajc w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is
intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be
received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you
are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to
forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying,
distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be
punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete
permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to
hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzib w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa,
www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.pl
Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru
Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88.
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2016 r. kapita zakadowy mBanku S.A. (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 168.955.696 zotych.