Generally -

You can walk the CKPT anytime with $TCKPTDEF,RECONFIG=YES

It is long, but fairly safe.  You can cancel the process at any time, and JES2
will not impact much until you end it or allow it to proceed with the
reconfiguration.

You only need to cold start jes2 if you want to change the name of the SPOOL
Volume.  Otherwise you can init other volumes with the mask selected and allow
volumes to drain, and once drained, remove from the system.

One of the suggestions in best practice for JES2 CKPT is to have CKPT1 in CF
Structure and CKPT2 on DASD.

Lizette