That is interesting to know. But, unless the situation changes (IMO "for
the better"), then we are stuck on our current configuration FOREVER. Upper
management utterly hates, despises, abhors, and denigrates the existence of
z/OS. They truly seem to be "all Windows, all the time!". I firmly believe
that we could upgrade z/OS if and only if the current I.T. management is
completely replaced (and the COO as well).

We have a number of software packages on a permanent execution license, but
with _no_ upgrades or support included. When we upgraded from z/OS 1.10 to
1.12, one of them died a horrible death. It put in an address space
termination exit which would _occasional_ abend with S0C4-?? . I found that
happened when the address space was in some sort of cross memory mode. I
had to create my own "patch" which basically detected this and made a
branch to the "right place". So, upgrading z/OS is definitely out of the
question. It could well cause more products to abend due to
incompatibilities and we would be stuck.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
wrote:

> John McKown wrote:
> >​z9BC here. A two CP machine. Two LPARs running z/OS 1.12, but one is just
> >my "sandbox"​.
>
> FYI, since the announcement of IBM Multi-Version Measurement (MVM):
>
> https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/897/ENUS217-093/ENUS217-093.PDF
>
> you are permitted to run newer IBM products that are compatible with your
> machine, within the same capacity(ies), at no additional charge.(**) Or, in
> other words, there is no more Single Version Charge (SVC) period. (Hurray!)
> MVM begins on June 1, 2017, based on your May, 2017, Sub-Capacity Reporting
> Tool (SCRT) submission. Since SVC offered a minimum of 12 months, anything
> newer that you start running now will only consume one or two months of SVC
> before MVM kicks in. In other words, MVM has effectively already arrived.
>
> Here are some examples of software releases compatible with your z9BC
> machine:
>
> z/OS Version 2.1 (not 2.2 or above)
> DB2 Version 10 for z/OS (not 11 or above)
> Enterprise COBOL Version 6.1 (*)
> CICS Transaction Server Version 5.3 (*)
> IBM SDK for z/OS Java Technology Edition Version 8 (*)
> WebSphere MQ Version 9 for z/OS (*)
>
> (*) Latest releases as I write this.
>
> All of the software releases listed above are currently IBM supported, as I
> write this. DB2 10 will reach End of Service (EoS) on September 30, 2017.
> Since DB2 10 requires z/OS 1.10 or higher, if you're running DB2 then you
> might already have Version 10.
>
> Of course I don't recommend staying on a z9BC machine, but you can still
> move up somewhat without additional charge and without a machine upgrade.
> Indeed possibly a lower peak processor utilization requirement, for example
> if you put Enterprise COBOL Version 6.1 to good use.
>
> (**) Read the fine print since it's *possible* to do something otherwise,
> as always.

> Timothy Sipples
> IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
> E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown