jesse1.robin...@sce.com (Jesse 1 Robinson) writes:
> I have a rather jaundiced view. Every time the word 'legacy' rings, an
> angel in heaven is entitled to use the word 'weenie-ware' one more
> time.
>
> Since the term 'data set' (is it one or two words?) is pretty much
> confined to mainframe, 'file' is useful for communicating to the
> unwashed masses. To avoid ambiguity, I try to use 'MVS file' or 'VM
> file' to distinguish it from Unix or Linux, both of which (can) live
> on mainframe. The problem with 'z/OS' is that it's a
> marketing/packaging term that is subject to meta-technical whims in
> the IBM boardroom.
>
> BTW we once had a pitch on Linux on z that referred to traditional
> Unix applications as 'legacy'. Sweet.

IBM corporate sent out memo that all (company) datasets had to add
security classification. I submitted a (cost saving) suggestion that CMS
file areas are equivalent to MVS PDS datasets and individual CMS files
are equivalent to PDS members .... so instead of classifying individual
CMS files ... classify CMS file areas (analogous to MVS PDS datasets)
... saving the company $12M dollars/year (cost saving suggestions would
also award submitter month savings).

It was rejected ... and then three months later implemented (so even tho
it was implemented, there was no award). Periodically there is reference
that "business ethics" is an "oxymoron". a couple old posts on the
subject:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#88
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012k.html#42