Java is now "legacy" as well.  It's over 20 years old, after all!

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Terminology - Datasets

I have a rather jaundiced view. Every time the word 'legacy' rings, an angel in
heaven is entitled to use the word 'weenie-ware' one more time.

Since the term 'data set' (is it one or two words?) is pretty much confined to
mainframe, 'file' is useful for communicating to the unwashed masses. To avoid
ambiguity, I try to use 'MVS file' or 'VM file' to distinguish it from Unix or
Linux, both of which (can) live on mainframe. The problem with 'z/OS' is that
it's a marketing/packaging term that is subject to meta-technical whims in the
IBM boardroom.

BTW we once had a pitch on Linux on z that referred to traditional Unix
applications as 'legacy'. Sweet.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson