On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Barbara Nitz <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote:

> A colleague of mine just asked me if ISPF statistics in a data set,
> especially the USERID field, can be manipulated. We used ISPF 3.5 and we
> were both astonished that I was easily able to fake a userid as the one who
> last changed a member (testing in my own dataset, of course).
>
> This immediately raised the question for me if there is any RACF control
> that would prevent this type of manipulation, especially since the userids
> in those statistics are widely used as evidence. Does anyone know if there
> are such RACF controls? A quick search in the ISPF books didn't turn up any
> hint.

​There are no control possible for this. The ISPF statistics are simply
data in the "user data area" portion of a member's directory entry.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.f54mc00/ispmc28.htm

how a PDS directory entry is formatted:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idad400/pdsd.htm

Binyamin mentioned ACF2, but a regular program can use the STOW macro to
update a PDS directory entry. In fact, must be able to in order to add,
delete, or update (other than "in place") a member. I doubt, that even ACF2
has any control to disallow updating the directory entry of a member in a
DSN to which the user has update authority.

Bottom line: ISPF statistics are NOT ANY GOOD for any kind of security or
auditing purposes. User can update them easily using 3.5 and you can't stop
them. You would need a product such as PDSMAN
https://docops.ca.com/ca-pdsman/7-7/en/administrating/what-is-pdsman

--
Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown