From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2017 8:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Friday question: ISPF Statistics Manipulation

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of CA. Do not click links or open
attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Barbara Nitz <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote:

> A colleague of mine just asked me if ISPF statistics in a data set,
> especially the USERID field, can be manipulated. We used ISPF 3.5 and
> we were both astonished that I was easily able to fake a userid as the
> one who last changed a member (testing in my own dataset, of course).
>
> This immediately raised the question for me if there is any RACF
> control that would prevent this type of manipulation, especially since
> the userids in those statistics are widely used as evidence. Does
> anyone know if there are such RACF controls? A quick search in the
> ISPF books didn't turn up any hint.

​There are no control possible for this. The ISPF statistics are simply data in
the "user data area" portion of a member's directory entry.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ibm.com_support_knowledgecenter_en_SSLTBW-5F2.1.0_com.ibm.zos.v2r1.f54mc00_ispmc28.htm&d=DwIFaQ&c=_hRq4mqlUmqpqlyQ5hkoDXIVh6I6pxfkkNxQuL0p-Z0&r=_pjUpH7SxKBkB6gBZH_r7a7W1q59Nzy5lPxFUOMH-UM&m=4Nkmg4zgV8bvaZuf3pzQfmzQUNagnQX66musH9Nq2lY&s=gmQ7AOx3yGz72ixAbnTxOfFf3gqZ-Z7ugt_coMfx1DM&e=

how a PDS directory entry is formatted:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ibm.com_support_knowledgecenter_en_SSLTBW-5F2.1.0_com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idad400_pdsd.htm&d=DwIFaQ&c=_hRq4mqlUmqpqlyQ5hkoDXIVh6I6pxfkkNxQuL0p-Z0&r=_pjUpH7SxKBkB6gBZH_r7a7W1q59Nzy5lPxFUOMH-UM&m=4Nkmg4zgV8bvaZuf3pzQfmzQUNagnQX66musH9Nq2lY&s=f80EEL_LypcCjkKc6P-Yiaqk55B20TIKjP7-qQsnRyo&e=

Binyamin mentioned ACF2, but a regular program can use the STOW macro to update
a PDS directory entry. In fact, must be able to in order to add, delete, or
update (other than "in place") a member. I doubt, that even ACF2 has any
control to disallow updating the directory entry of a member in a DSN to which
the user has update authority.

Bottom line: ISPF statistics are NOT ANY GOOD for any kind of security or
auditing purposes. User can update them easily using 3.5 and you can't stop
them. You would need a product such as PDSMAN
https://docops.ca.com/ca-pdsman/7-7/en/administrating/what-is-pdsman

--
Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown