On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 13:17:52 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>It will surprise me if IBM hasn't given some serious thought to this
>for PDSEs. A formally managed interface to PDSE member metadata,
>subject to RACF etc. controls, would be quite doable. Of course it
>would be tricky to make it compatible, but since you already can't do
>EXCP to a PDSE, it might not be so hard to capture STOW and subject it
>to security controls. Or provide a brand new member metadata API that
>is unrelated to the existing directory userdata.

In:
z/OS    IBM Network File System Guide and Reference
Version 2 Release 2
SC23-6883-02

I read:
Time stamps for PDSs and PDSEs
2. MVS maintains the PDSE member create/change time stamp (mtime) in the PDSE
AX cell.
   The Server uses a FileAccessMethodService (FAMS) call to retrieve/save the
member
   attributes (containing time stamps) from/to the PDSE AX cell.

It's hard to learn more about this FAMS thingy.  I suspect IBM doesn't want us
to know.

One interesting thing is that when a PDSE is NFS mounted on a Solaris
system, the "ls -l" command shows file timestamps with microsecond
granularity for members never touched by ISPF.

If I migrate that PDSE and recall it, those timestamps are preserved.

If I copy that PDSE with IEBCOPY, the timestamps are reset to the time
that I performed the copy.

I'm curious what else might lurk in that "PDSE AX cell".  Perhaps an
immutable creator ID?

8 characters in z/OS 2.3?

-- gil