Gibney, Dave wrote:
z/OSMF assumes access to zIIP. Otherwise, the Java CPU load on general CP's
impacts the SCRT reports, or runs up on the cap.
<snip>

There is negligible idle load imposed by the z/OSMF server; it uses significant CPU only when you do something with it. I just checked again using RMF Monitor III (RMFWDM) on our current level of z/OS V2.3 code. As I started to compose this note, I looked at its CPU usage, and I did so again after several minutes had elapsed. It hadn't budged.

I believe this has been the case since we switched to WebSphere with the Liberty profile some time ago. Another interesting datum is that has used about 20% more zIIP time than CP time since the last server start.

But, just to make sure it was actually working (hey, it's a system in z/OS System Test, after all!), I logged into z/OSMF. That was not enough to make the numbers move, either.

So, I defined a new (fairly small, about 150 data seats) software instance to drive discovery by a pattern, which does a bunch of Catalog and CVAF/DADSM operations to locate data sets by high-level qualifier, and went back to check again. It had ticked up by a bit less than two tenths of a CPU second total, the sum of zIIP time and CP time. I'll grant that this is on a top end processor, but this is still not moving the needle by much; you can barely see it twitch.

The heavy lifting (data movement) for Software Management is currently done in batch. I have not run a side-by-side comparison of CPU consumption for ServerPac and z/OSMF Software Management deployment operations, and I don't plan to, but the former is certainly nonzero, and the latter does not involve a huge amount of frequent activity. Also, Software Management should use less resource when you model after previous deployments (as many likely do in ServerPac, too, by "merging with" a saved configuration).

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie