> Can somebody shed light on this issue - in simple terms please :) ?

Theo,

It would be best to avoid concatenation with referback due to the
potential problems caused by the system restriction described here in the
second bullet:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.icem100/beaware.htm

Be aware that, in some cases, if a DD statement specifies a data set for
output that is extended to a second or subsequent volume, and another DD
statement within the same step requests the same data set, only the
records on the first volume will be read, and incorrect output will
result.

We always recommend to use one temp data set with disposition MOD . i.e

//TEMP1      DD DSN=&&TEMP1,UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(MOD
,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y),RLSE)

Copy your datasets into a single dataset with MOD disposition and you will
not run into the system restriction.

I am guessing that you are using SPLICE operator to find the matching
records between 2 files IN1 and IN2. Please note that JOINKEYS is much
more efficient technique and it can even handle MANY to MANY match which
SPLICE operator cannot handle.

Since I don't have your entire TOOLIN Cards I cannot rewrite your JCL. If
you can send your TOOLIN statements then I can optimize the job or convert
it to use JOINKEYS.

Further if you have any questions please let me know

>>>Since I do not know this tool you are using or what it will do, it
might be possible to use something like SORT to do what you want.

Lizette,

The Job is indeed using ICETOOL

Thanks,
Kolusu