From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:07 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to find the Global zone names in SMP/E via REXX

On 2017-08-08, at 11:01, Nims,Alva John (Al) wrote:

> It is documented in "SA23-2276-02 SMP/E for z/OS Reference" look for GIMAPI,
> on the CBTTAPE are some routines that provide an interface between REXX and
> GIMAPI.

I don't consider GIMAPI a Rexx API; it's Rexx-hostile.  It requires that the
caller supply pointers in argument blocks, and pointers are not a capability of
Rexx.  So an interface to the interface is necessary.

ICSF did far better with its API -- its arguments are Rexx-friendly without
being Rexx-peculiar.  It's a pity that the designers of GIMAPI lacked such
foresight.

-- gil