[Default] On 9 Aug 2017 08:23:19 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
david.jou...@53.com (Jousma, David) wrote:

>Im not aware of any method using existing system services to track execution
>of subroutines below PGM=.   It would certainly be helpful to us, as we have
>(I'm) many old application programs that pollute our system, but no one knows
>if they are in use or not.  This is becoming somewhat of a issue for us as we
>are starting the migration to EC V6.1, and are forced to minimally
>convert/recompile OS VS programs, and some VS Cobol II.   I am pretty sure of
>the thousands of these we have, there is a large percentage that are not in
>use.   Oh well, that will be the problem for the application teams to figure
>out I guess.   ;)

In the distant (over 25 years ago), I did long running GTF traces for
LOAD, LINK and ATTACH and analyzed the results.  Also if all of the
subroutines are CALLed using CALL 'module-name' the source can be
parsed to detect this using programs written in language of choice
including COBOL.  If called by the COBOL construct CALL data-name or
the equivalent in other languages, this condition can at least be
detected.

Clark Morris