Hi,
have you tried the TSO DELETE, instead of IDCAMS DELETE? I usually do this
task trying first online (in 3.4 list) and if it doesn't work, with JCL
batch.
I have done it many times, and it works even if you get the HSM error
message, if you have a reasonable recent version of zOS

regards,

*Gonzalo Cengotita*