From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Tom
Ross <tmr...@stlvm20.vnet.ibm.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Question for COBOL users

IBM COBOL development needs your help!

We are reviewing a request to change our support for OPTFILE and SYSOPTF
to allow usage of DD SYSOPTF without the compiler option OPTFILE.

For background, this is where you can avoid the 255 character limit for
PARM= in JCL when specifying COBOL compiler options.  Currently, if you
specify compiler option OPTFILE, the compiler tries to OPEN the file
allocated to DD SYSOPTF, and read compiler options from that file.

OK, we got an RFE (Request For Enhancement) to have the compiler always
try to use SYSOPTF, with or without the OPTFILE compiler option.  The use
of SYSOPTF would then only be controlled by the existence of SYSOPTF.

Our concern is, would this affect current users of SYSOPTF?  Are there users
of SYSOPTF with COBOL who sometimes compile with NOOPTFILE and leave the
DD statement for SYSOPFT in their JCL/Changeman compile jobs?
If so, then automatically accessing SYSOPTF without using OPTFILE could
cause problems.

This leads to another question...do any of your shops  use OPTFILE and
SYSOPTF for COBOL compiles?

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<