We added OPTFILE as a response to customer request, I believe it was
well before PARMDD, but not positive.

Someone else asked what the COMPILER limit for reading the PARM=
options string is, but there is none.  There is a JCL/JES limit of
255 bytes.  There is no limit for SYSOPTF (using OPTFILE).

It seems pretty clear that we cannot change the default behavior to
read SYSOPTF whenever it is present, regardless of OPTFILE, so we
will probably add another (sigh) compiler option

>There is nothing to prevent a user or product to go ahead and use
>PARMDD, and it could point to the program's (compiler's) specific
>overrides.  The program (compiler) can only read the PARM for the
>length it specifies (100/255) until modified to allow a parm length of
>32K.  Maybe a couple releases down the road you can give a warning
>message that the program (compiler) specific parm will be removed.

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<