Not knowing Com-Plete, I can only guess: Edit/Browse might use NOTE and POINT,
do they?
These services work with the TTR of the records on the disk. For this to work
with SMS managed data sets, they need to be EXTENDED format data sets.

In a previous job I was working with some home written software which had just
this dependency. I can't remember thought, if defining the data sets as
EXTENDED format, was all there had to be done.

You might give it try, or read about NOTE & POINT in the DFSMS manuals.

--
Peter Hunkeler