From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Binyamin Dissen
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 1:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] SMS dataset oddity with COM-Plete

As it is a S0C1, I would look to a branch to low core and if so, look at the
calling module for some link error.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:21:59 -0600 Brian Westerman
<brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com> wrote:

:>No, the volumes are identical (same raid, same channels, etc.) except that
the one (that results in an s0C1) is in an SMS pool and the other is not.
The data got to the pool because we sent it there via a dfdss batch job to
move all of the development datasets to a "new" 48 volume development pool
instead of just a few development 3390-3's.

:>The only difference between them via 3.4 seems to be that one has a
storage class and management class (no dataclass) and the other doesn't
(because it's not on an SMS volume.

:>The vendor (SAG) is no help at all, as they feel that since Com-Plete
6.8.1 works fine with it on either volume that we should just migrate to the
new version now.  Unfortunately, that's not a viable option because they
have to upgrade Natural and Adabas first and that project has just started
(that's why the Com-Plete cutover is January of 2019).

:>Strangely enough, we have another customer, at the same level of
Com-Plete, exactly same PTF level and compile dates on the programs, and
they have no problem editing dataset from the SMS volumes.

:>I have compared the sites com-plete (s) and they are not just virtually
identical, they are exactly identical.

:>One site though (the site that works) is z/OS 1.8 (in the process of
moving to z/OS 2.3), but the other (the one where it fails) is at z/OS 2.2.

:>I have no real doubts that the issue is something within SMS under z/OS
2.2 (or something that changed between 1.8 and 2.2), but the problem is to
locate and neutralize it before the site that is currently converting to 2.3
ends up with the same issue.  They have no plans to upgrade their Software
AG environment (it's slowly disappearing).

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdis...@dissensoftware.com> http://www.dissensoftware.com

Should you use the mailblocks package and expect a response from me, you
should preauthorize the dissensoftware.com domain.

I very rarely bother responding to challenge/response systems, especially
those from irresponsible companies.

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN