On 02/23/2018 10:08 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:24:36 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:
>
>> There are two more or less redundant fields in the CVT: CVTTZ and CVTLDTO.
>> (CVTLDTO is actually in CVT extension 2.) CVTLDTO contains the exact local
>> time offset in timer units -- in other words, you can add it directly to an
>> STCK value. CVTTZ is identical to the high order word (only) of CVTLDTO --
>> in other words, it is the *approximate* offset in units of 1.048576 seconds.
>> (Approximate because you cannot represent an integral number of hours
>> exactly in units of 1.048576 seconds.) Why 1.048576? One way of looking at
>> that value is that it is 2^20 divided by 10^6. It is the ratio between mibi
>> and mega.
>>
> An IBM Redbook has called this a megamicrosecond.  Ugh!  Humpty Dumpty!
And now that we have international standards for binary prefixes, if it
were named today it would be mebimicroseconds,  or maybe Miµsec (the
short prefix form is "Mi" for "M-ega b-i-nary", the longer pronounceable
forms use the first two letters of each prefix word, so is "mebi" not
"mibi").    Still ugly, but unambiguously 2^20✕10^(-6) seconds.
    JC Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org