From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Two summer time change questions

On 23 February 2018 at 12:03, Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Timer units just happen to be what the high-order word of the
> traditional TOD clock counts.  Whether that figured as a design point
> back in the day I have no idea.  I presume the span covered
> (1900-2047) and the precision (specified as microseconds in bit 51,
> implying much room for more in the last 12 bits) were more important
> considerations.  Just my guess, though.

Just a note on terminology that we seem to need every ten years or so:

Timer Units are not TOD clock units. Timer units are approximately
26.04167 microseconds. They come from the long-gone S/360 Interval Timer, which
was the fullword at location 80 (x'50'). This was defined so that bit position
23 is decremented every 1/300 second, which conveniently allowed an
implementation that decremented either bits 21 and 22 every 1/50 second, or
bits 21 and 23 every 1/60 second, thus being able to run on a 50 or 60 Hz power
line. Of course only the smallest 360 models actually used the power frequency
for timing, but the definition lives on.

Timer Units are still referenced in various places in z/OS, for example the TU
operand on the STIMER[M] macro.