I run both. FDR/DSF/ABR and DF/DSS/HSM  They're both useful in their own
way. And Innovation is reasonably priced for our size.
   I once tried to migrate our HSM implementation to FDRABR's archive. I don't
remember all the glitches, but it didn't handle expiration well enough and I
think the volume level approach didn't to multi-volume stripped data well.
  On the other hand I had some very unpleasant (many years ago now) trying to
use HSM fullvolume DUMP and run forward via incrementals in restoring. The
reserve HSM used when DUMPing also caused problems. As I said, a long time ago.
Might be better now. And I also have since moved my Usercatalogs to Non-SMS
(HSM is only used for SMS) storage.

  On the OP, I generally use DFDSS to move individual datesets.  Mostly habit,
as I'm sure FDR would do just as well.