I've used (only) [CA-]TPX since the 80s. It's common in (somewhat) larger shops
to use a session manager for several reasons.

1. With several LPARs, the number of required logons can balloon dramatically.
TSO. SMCS. Omegamon. CICS. CICS alone accounts for dozens (!) of our logon
requirements across multiple LPARs. If you truly have <10 logon requirements,
then a session manager might not be necessary.

2. We manage a full function DR environment, which nearly doubles the number of
required logons during testing. With TPX, we log our emulator on only once to
the production network and once to the DR network. This amplifies the argument
in (1).

3. TPX offers a component to facilitate changing passwords. Assuming that a
user maintains the same password across all logons, by changing the password
just once at TPX logon, then logging on successively to all supported sessions
will update the password on each. One minute to update and synchronize all
passwords.

4. Perhaps the greatest benefit of all, TPX itself holds all sessions
regardless of the status of your emulator. Of course Windows is more reliable
than it used to be, but it still falls far short of mainframe RAS. The more
active sessions you have open, the more you'll appreciate not having to log
back on to each of them and redo lost work.

I've heard that are cheaper session managers that some folks seem to like a
lot. I imagine that they all provide for (1), (2), and (4) above. BTW as others
have noted, your LPARs *must* be connected via whatever supports SNA to the
LPAR where the session manager runs. For us, that's the 'CMC'. You could run
multiple instances of a session manager, but that dilutes the effectiveness and
might raise license cost.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson