On 3/12/18, 2:19 PM, "IBM Mainframe Discussion List on behalf of Seymour J
Metz" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU on behalf of sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
> Not all session managers restrict you to 24x80; in fact, I have never had the
> misfortune to use one that did. Are you sure that it was a product limitation
> and not a restriction decreed by your management?

In some ways it was a feature of the way VTAM worked, or at least a dramatic
change in assumptions that came with programmable devices over classic dumb
terminals; as I understand it, since you had two LU sessions in play
(terminal-> session manager, session manager-> application), the second session
was restricted to the lowest common denominator (24x80) if you wanted to
support arbitrary incoming screen sizes because there was no way to pass actual
terminal geometry to the second session without getting the information some
other way. The telnet server skipped that limitation entirely and was smart
enough to query the terminal and be able to pass the actual terminal geometry
to the application.

Most of the session managers never really figured that one out, with a few
notable exceptions.