0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> I don't understand digital signatures beyond what I just read in:
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature
>
>     ... Digital signatures are equivalent to traditional handwritten
> signatures
>     in many respects, but properly implemented digital signatures are more
>     difficult to forge than the handwritten type.  ...
>     Paper contracts sometimes have the ink signature block on the last page,
>     and the previous pages may be replaced after a signature is applied.  ...
>
> But it seems that all such schemes depend on being able to authenticate
> a public key from some certificate authority.  It doesn't appear that a
> digitally signed document can be entirely self-contained.
>
> So is a signature any more secure than an independently verifiable checksum,
> or just more practical?

trivia: digital signature is the hash of the document (SHA-2) that has
been encrypted with the private key. On reception, you recompute the
hash, decrypt the digital signature with the corresponding public key
and compare the two hashes. One of the original motivations for
public/private key was to get around some of the secret key distribution
problems (which has to be hidden and never divulged). Public key had be
publicly distributed (w/o needing to hide). People can use the public
key to encrypt stuff and send it to you ... and only you can decrypt it
(with the private key). You can encrypt stuff with the private key ...
and people can decrypt it (like digital signature) with public key
... and know it came from you ... since only your private key could have
encrypted something that is decryptable with your public key.

we worked on the cal. state electronic signature legislation ... one of
the things is that "digital signatures" aren't true human signatures in
the legal sense ... "digital signatures" can be used for authentication
(in the same way pins and passwords) ... but need some additional
features to qualify as a legal signature. In that sense, might claim
that they were purposefully called "digital signatures" in an attempt to
try and inflate their perceived value (justify charging billions)

Last project we did at IBM was HA/CMP ... and was working on commercial
cluster scalenup with RDBMS vendors and technical scaleup with national
labs. Old post about Jan1992 meeting in Oracle CEO conference room
on commercial cluster scaleup
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

within a few weeks of the meeting, cluster scaleup was transferred,
announced as supercomuter and we were told we couldn't work on anything
with more than four processors. Possible contributing faster was that
the mainframe DB2 people were complaining if I went ahead, it would
be at least 5yrs ahead of them. We leave IBM a few months later.

A little while later, two of the Oracle people (from the Jan1992
meeting) have left and our at small client/server startup responsible
for something called "commerce server". We are brought in as consultants
because they want to do payment transactions on the server, the startup
had also invented this stuff they called "SSL" they want to use, the
result is now frequently called "electronic commerce".

Somewhat for having done "electronic commerce" we get sucked into
X9 financial standards organization working on new standards.

During this time, I wrote extensively about how it was trivial to use
public/private key in lieu of passwords ... w/o digital
certificates. The problem was that the digitial certificate industry was
floating $20B business case on wall street ...  basically
$100/certificate/annum/person. We were also brought in to help wordsmith
cal. state legislation ... at the time they were working on electronic
signature (and under heavy pressure by the certificate industry to
mandate digital certificates), data breach notification, and "opt-in"
personal information sharing. Electronic signature and data breach
notification passed ... but "opt-in" (institutions could only share your
information with explicit record of you of approving) got pre-empted by
"opt-out" provision added to GLBA (institutions could share your
information unless they kept a record of you objecting).

some discussion of financial transaction standard that can do
public key authentication w/o digital certificate
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/x959.html#x959

One of the scenarios was electronic payment transaction where they
wanted to append a digital certificate to every transaction that was at
least 100 times larger than the transaction size. Partly because I
ridiculed the idea, some of X9 started a compress digitial certificate
work item ... to try and get the digital certificate bloat down to only
20-50 times larger. Then I wrote a detailed analysis showing how to
eliminate the payload bloat by appending to every transaction a digital
certificate compressed to zero bytes (had all the same detail, just
didn't occupy any space).