Yep, that's what TLS does.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of R.S.
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Software Delivery on Tape to be Discontinued

W dniu 2018-04-04 o 17:34, Charles Mills pisze:
>> IBM sign the hash (in fact they sign whole serverpac)
> I think the "whole serverpac" is effectively signed -- but the way that is
> done is to sign the hash. There are security advantages too long a digression
> for this reply.
>
>> If you really want to encrypt the content (ie. DVD files) then you
>> have to make your pair of PRIVATE/PUBLIC keys. Yes, the customer has
>> to do it and ask IBM to use his public key
> Yep, that is the process that certificates and the TLS protocol automate. TLS
> does not do anything for you in terms of encryption that you could not do on
> your own -- but worst case doing it without TLS would require your sending a
> courier with a briefcase containing a secret key locked to his wrist to IBM,
> and IBM maintaining a secret key for each customer. TLS automates that
> process, securely.

NO!
Asymmetric crypto is the solution for secret key exchange. There is no longer
need to exchange the keys using briefcase.
I keep my private key in secret and my public key is really public. You do the
same with your key pair. Now I can encrypt (but NOT DECRYPT) some data using
your public key and only private key holder can decrypt it (you). And vice
versa - you can encrypt some data using my public key.
In case of doubt who is on the other end of wire (am I using YOUR key or
someone else's key?)  certificates can be used.

Note: asymmetric cryptography is very cpu-consuming, approx. 1000 times more
than symmetric. That's why people (protocols) tend to use asymmetric cyrpto to
exchange small data portion - the key, symmetric one. After that both parties
share their own, unique, disposable key for bulk data exchange.