From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM ZD&T

**CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

Dave Jousma wrote:
>Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here and over
>complicating
things.

Maybe. Probably. :-)

>My architects keep pounding on me that they just want to use the IBM
supplied
>vanilla copy of the z/OS image, and the DB2 that comes with that.

What's wrong with that?

If they're going to try to run the bank's production workloads on ZD&TE, that's
a nonstarter. But I assume that's not what they're trying to do, because....

>They just want a throwaway vanilla environment. I feel like they think
>this is a simple "lets stand up a Linux or Windows" and let them play.

And that's usually fine, even more than fine! If developers have better tools,
they produce more, quicker, and with better quality. Everybody wins, including
especially the bank's customers.

Sure, there ought to be a *couple* basic rules. As a notable example, they
ought not be using real customer data in their "throwaway" environments, which
is really what your security software (CA Top Secret) is trying to protect.
That would be contrary to the bank's and customers' security interests. But if
there's no sensitive data to protect, rock on! Source code will still be stored
and managed according to bank policies (and intellectual property enforcement),
and you'll still test, hopefully better and faster.

In addition (not in lieu of!), it'd be wise to look at how you provide
mainframe services in much more of a self-service/walk-up/instant fashion.
You can certainly do that. All of the ingredients are there, usually at no
additional charge. For example, you can use the z/OS Management Facility to
allow an authorized developer in a development LPAR to provision her own
Db2 table with test data using a pre-built z/OSMF workflow, and without any
involvement from system programmers, DBAs, etc. Just "I need a Db2 table today
for my spur-of-the-moment mobile app idea," and she gets it, immediately, via
self-service. When she's done, 6 hours later or whatever, that service is
de-provisioned. Everybody wins, except perhaps the FinTech that's trying to
beat the bank.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE, Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL
EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.