On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Tom Marchant <
0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 May 2018 07:44:19 -0500, Paul Edwards wrote:
>
> >Oh - I'm also assuming that IBM will update
> >the operating system so that READ etc can
> >be executed in AM64.
>
> ROFL! You didn't ask for that. I think that you are assuming that is is
> trivial.

​What I thought about, but haven't ever throw out here for discussion, is
the idea that IBM should create a new "subsystem" accessable via the
SUBSYS= on the DD which would allow accessing PS type data sets via an ACB.
What I envision would be that when the subsystem DS was OPEN'd, the
subsystem would load an I/O routine into RMODE(24) storage and dynamically
create a DCB & new DD statement with the same DSN. Then a GET or PUT via
the ACB would invoke the I/O module appropriately which would switch to
AMODE(24) and the the actual QSAM/BSAM I/O. This would allow at least the
majority of the uses people have for PS type datasets to use this interface
from AMODE(31) or AMODE(64) routine in a consistent GUPI manner which
everybody in the industry doing it the same way, rather than "ad hoc".​

> Are you also assuming that they will accept an address above the bar for
> parameters?
>
> --
> Tom Marchant

We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown