From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Paul Edwards <mutazi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: GETMAIN LOC=32

On Thu, 10 May 2018 13:18:07 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

>How do run, in AMODE64, an AMODE24 program that
> relies on bits 0-7 after a BAL or BALR?

The same way you do when you are faced with
converting your code to bimodal AMODE31 -
you don't write code like that, and it is not
something that has an application-defined
purpose that can't be dispensed with.

> Admittedly IEFBR14 will work fine in AMOD64
> if the high 32 bits of R14 and R15 are zero.
> However, if you have to deal with legacy
> 24-bit code, then you have to deal with the
> incompatibility between AMODE24 and AMODE64.

The same is true of AMODE31. All I am asking
for is that when someone goes to the effort of
making their legacy AM24 application bimodal,
they make it trimodal at the same time.

BFN. Paul.