On 5/15/2018 2:58 AM, Mike Fulton wrote:
Hi

I know in ISPF under 3.2, if I am allocating a dataset and it is
SMS-managed, I can specify the space in bytes (e.g. megabytes)
instead of tracks or cylinders or blocks. Is there a similar way to
do this from the TSO ALLOC command? Looking at the manual, I can't
see it, but I would have thought if it could be done in ISPF, it
could be done in TSO...

It sure would be simpler if you could just specify the number of bytes, but that's not how it works. Instead you specify the length of an average record (AVBLOCK) in bytes and the multiplier (AVREC).
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ikjc500/alloccmd.htm

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development