From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 1:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: smp/e question - PTF relinks, but missing CSECTs.

I'm sympathetic to the argument that new stuff should be investigated, but the
problem is whether that really happens in practice. We've all met the sysprog
who meticulously codes parameter defaults as a kind of in-your-face
documentation so that 'we will all know' what's happening. Then years later the
defaults change, but the user-coded list does not get updated. Call me
Pollyanna, but I'm willing to trust the latest default.

As for getting inconsistent results, I suspect that SMP/E results can be
influenced by the particular mix of elements being processed in a given run.
That is, applying SYSMOD-A and SYSMOD-B in the same step might uncover a
sinkhole that applying one sysmod or the other alone would not. This problem is
very difficult to detect in development and may require a lot of customer
activity to unearth.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson