On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

> I'm sympathetic to the argument that new stuff should be investigated, but
> the problem is whether that really happens in practice. We've all met the
> sysprog who meticulously codes parameter defaults as a kind of in-your-face
> documentation so that 'we will all know' what's happening. Then years later
> the defaults change, but the user-coded list does not get updated. Call me
> Pollyanna, but I'm willing to trust the latest default.

​I'm a bit like that latter. I tend to code all the known parms of any kind
of "configuration" member even if all I'm doing is restating the default.
One reason, IIRC, was a vendor put out a either some maintenance or a new
version which changed the default on something. And after I implemented it,
I got a ton of complaints that "the product is broken" because the
programmers depended on the previous, now changed, default. ​

> As for getting inconsistent results, I suspect that SMP/E results can be
> influenced by the particular mix of elements being processed in a given
> run. That is, applying SYSMOD-A and SYSMOD-B in the same step might uncover
> a sinkhole that applying one sysmod or the other alone would not. This
> problem is very difficult to detect in development and may require a lot of
> customer activity to unearth.

​Yeah, I vaguely remember something long ago where I had some such problem.
I eventually had to try doing a APPLY S(one-entry) GROUPEXTEND to put
things on more slowly. And I had to figure out the "correct" order myself
too. I.e. I could apply A, then B and A would succeed & B fail, but if I
did apply B, then A -- everything was fine. I really got P.O.'d as I
recall. I'm now pretty much too old to bother. That's why our "maintenance"
philosophy in the past was to RECEIVE each RSU as it was announced. And do
_nothing_ with it; unless there was a specific need. We would simply order
an new IPO/CPDO/whatever about every 6 months. And install a completely new
z/OS image on new volumes -- new RES, DLIB, & SMP volumes. This is likely
easier in our very small, single production image + sandbox, environment.

--
Once a government places vague notions of public safety and security above
the preservation of freedom, a general loss of liberty is sure to follow.

GCS Griffin -- Pelaran Alliance -- TFS Guardian (book)

Maranatha! <><
John McKown