On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:09:16 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:

>>>I don't like JCL, but I don't see any way forward other than incremental
>>>improvements.
>>>
>>Business case for those?  And trimming the whiskers from JCL would
>>create compatibility problems for users who have come to depend on
>>them, even if only as circumventions.
>
>An example of an incremental improvement is IF/THEN/ELSE/ENDIF.

If only the developers had been conscientious:
    //NAME      JOB   ...
    //*  "IF" *should* not occur before the first EXEC.  Accepted with no
warning.
    //MAYBE     IF    FALSE THEN   /* Unsupported syntax, accepted with no
warning!  */
    //STEP1     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14  /* This step is executed, but ...    */
    //STEP2     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14  /* ... this step is skipped.  WTF!?  */
    //MAYBE     ENDIF              /* Label *should* be unique.  No warning.  */

... the face of JCL bcomes increasingly unkempt.

-- gil