From: Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 3:52 AM
Subject: Re: websphere-liberty question
To: <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

David Crayford wrote:
>> https://www.openliberty.io
>Very cool. I'll give it a test drive.

Yes, agreed! When you get a chance, it'd be great to learn how it goes for
you.

I should also point out that IBM distributes a no charge beta release of
(IBM commercial) Liberty for z/OS here:

https://developer.ibm.com/wasdev/downloads/#asset/runtimes-wlp-beta-zos

Kirk Wolf wrote:

https://developer.ibm.com/wasdev/docs/websphere-application-server-everyone/
>This seems to be different from the "Open Liberty" version that you
>mention.

Yes, it is different. In 2015, a couple years before Open Liberty, IBM
started offering its commercial Liberty distribution as a no charge
download with a license that allows development, test, *and production*,
without IBM support. However, that particular license (described at that
site) only allows a maximum of 2GB of total Java heap per organization.
It's really for "first in organization" experiences with the commercial
Liberty runtime(s). I didn't mention that particular license offering since
it's not especially well suited to software product vendors and their
needs, but yes, that license is still available in addition to the others I
mentioned.

>Is it available for z/OS?

I see no license limitations as to platform(s), so yes, to my knowledge it
is available for z/OS at the Liberty Core function level.

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQTP_8.5.5/com.ibm.websphere.wlp.doc/ae/rwlp_feat.html?cp=SSEQTP_8.5.5%2F1-0-2-2-0
>this license’s features are in the same column as *WAS express*)."
>*If you follow this knowledge center link, there isn't actually a column
>for WAS express!*

Yes, that article was written in 2015. Later, with Version 9 of WebSphere
Application Server, "Express" effectively became WAS Liberty Core. Here's
the latest Version 9.x feature table, by the way:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQTP_liberty/com.ibm.websphere.wlp.doc/ae/rwlp_feat.html

>B) If you go to:  https://developer.ibm.com/wasdev/ and download Liberty,
>you seems to get a pure-java implementation.  The README doesn't mention
>z/OS, and I don't see any Platform-specific JNI libraries, or zos*.jar
>files.  So, I assume that basic stuff like SAF/RACF authentication won't
>be there.

Yes, I have the same view. You can see those details in the Features table
under the "z/OS" section, with the checkboxes only in the "WebSphere
Application Server for z/OS" column. WebSphere Application Server for z/OS
is one of the ways to license those particular Liberty features for z/OS.
Two other ways are: base CICS Transaction Server for z/OS licensing (since
it includes Liberty for z/OS), and, for independent software vendors, via
an IBM Partnerworld Embedded Solution Agreement (ESA).

That's the *licensing*. In fact, if you look through the downloads
available at that same "wasdev" site, you should see all of the
z/OS-specific features listed separately, one by one, and available for
individual download. Developers, in particular, can easily get those
software components to target any of their matching licensed z/OS runtimes.

Anyway, I didn't mention the 2015+ Liberty 2GB license because it wasn't
directly on point for this particular discussion. The 2015+ Liberty 2GB
license is still available (nothing taken away). However, for software
vendors (including open source distributors), the following range of
choices that I described in my previous post is likely to be more
interesting and relevant:

* Open Liberty
* WebSphere Application Server for z/OS
* CICS Transaction Server for z/OS
* a Liberty (with z/OS unique features) runtime license via Partnerworld
ESA

So that's what I focused on in my previous post.

>Which versions allow applications that are not signed by IBM?

All of the above, with the probable exception of the last choice, the
Partnerworld ESA license. That last one would be dedicated to your
application, and *you* would sign accordingly.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Scott Ford
IDMWORKS