From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 1, 2018 12:13 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IND$FILE -- where did the name come from?

I didn't notice anyone asking (or answering preemptively) the question of what
IND$FILE is or how it works. First off, it is not a 'file transfer tool' like
FTP or SFTP. It is a program that spoofs 3270 terminal data entry to up or
download data. There's a component on mainframe and another on Windows. The
reason it's so slow is that it simulates keyboard entry. Not elegant but
competent. Not ideal for large files, but here's how I made peace with it long
ago.

IND$FILE can completely process a modest file while I'm still trying to get FTP
syntax right. For the third time. It's worth my money.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company