Shmuel Metz wrote:
>I believe that IND$FILE is included in your z/OS license.

IBM Program Number 5665-311, 3270 PC File Transfer Program for TSO, is
still marketed and supported as a standalone product (as I write this).
However, starting with z/OS 2.1, it is included in the z/OS base operating
system license. Refer to IBM Announcement Letter 213-292 for confirmation.

>I also believe that it is long out of support...

No, it's still IBM supported.

>...and less efficient than, e.g., SFTP (yes, FTP is considered
>insecure these days.)

FTPS is another choice.

As for efficiency, it depends on how you measure efficiency. IND$FILE can
be extremely efficient all around when a user with a terminal emulator
transfers a small file on an ad hoc basis. It can also be extremely
efficient when somebody's manual, or REXX script, or macro contains
precise, already functioning instructions on how to transfer a file in the
correct, format preserving way, and you'd otherwise be tearing your hair
out trying to make an alternative file transfer path work for no compelling
enough reason.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com