From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IND$FILE -- where did the name come from?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:13:05 -0800, Tom Brennan wrote:

>> and employees use it to circumvent policies prohibiting data transfer.
>
>Or maybe just to avoid delays in getting what an auditor might call
>"proper" access.  For example, I've used IND$FILE to transfer an entire
>dumped/xmited 3390 volume to a client site,

Don't *you* need to be the client to control IND$FILE?  (I'd say, "instructed
a client to use IND$FILE to transfer from my site.")

>... because getting sftp port
>access (and the associated big ZFS allocated and mounted) would have
>probably taken weeks.

Understood about port access.  But no need for "big ZFS".  once you have
sftp you have ssh, so:
    cp -B "//'ENTIRE.XMITED.VOLUME'"  /dev/fd/1" | ssh client.site "cp -B
/dev/fd/0 '//''client.site.volume'''"
(gasp!)  Might even use OUTDD option of TRANSMIT to eliminate one more large
data set.

-- gil