On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 09:29, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> IMHO the topic is HMC for zPDT. Unfortunately zPDT does not have HMC in
> any form, real or emulated.
> It's not mainframe, it's only emulation.

No, zPDT *is* a mainframe. It implements a permitted subset of the
architecture documented in the Principles of Operation.

The HMC is not described in the Principles of Operation. It replaces
the knobs, lights, and switches that provided the operator interface
on older systems. Some of the *functions* performed by the HMC are
architected (and are implemented by zPDT without an HMC), but none of
how it works or what the interface looks like. Here is the only
description of anything like an HMC in the POO:

"Operator Facilities
The operator facilities provide the functions necessary for operator
control of the machine. Associated with the operator facilities may be
an operator-console device, which may also be used as an I/O device
for communicating with the program.

The main functions provided by the operator facilities include
resetting, clearing, initial program loading, start, stop, alter, and
display."

And later:

"The operator facilities may be implemented on different models in
various technologies and configurations. On some models, more than one
set of physical representations of some keys, controls, and indicators
may be provided, such as on multiple local or remote operating
stations, which may be effective concurrently. "

All subsequent description of these functions refer to "keys", e.g.
the load key, the start and stop keys, and so on, just as in the S/360
POO in 1964.

To the OP's plans... I think doing penetration testing on a box with
no available architectural doc at all, and extremely limited external
doc, might be useful, but how will you even know if it's misbehaving
if there are no specs? Sure, maybe you can force a buffer overrun or
something in the web interface, take over the box (Linux?), and then
what? I don't see that it has any close relation to IBM's mainframe
OSs and their security issues.

Tony H.