On 5/13/19 9:46 AM, John McKown wrote:
Yes, we have had a TCM fail. I was almost called a liar when I told the Windows people that the z simply switch the work transparently (on the hardware level) to another CP. They were shocked and amazed that we could "hot swap" a new TCM into the box without any outage.

TCM as in Thermal Conduction Module?

IMHO that's mildly impressive. I say /mildly/ because I would /expect/ a mainframe to be able to survive that without (significantly) impacting the workload.

I also would like to think that some of the more advanced schedulers in Linux could detect that a CPU (set of cores) was overheating and needed to be taken out of service. I would hope that if the chassis was designed properly, a good CE could replace the TCM without taking the machine down.

I'm also assuming that the CPU was not actually faulted and would still pass sanity checks as long as no actual work was scheduled on it.

I know that there are Open Systems that can have the processor offlined and replaced.

The same thing when an OSA failed.

Ya. So what. - No disrespect intended. To my naive point of view, an OSA is a really, Really, REALLY fancy network adapter. As such, I would /expect/ that the mainframe can offline an ultra fancy network card, have the hardware replaced, and bring the new one online again.

Open Systems have been able to hot add and remove expansion cards like NICs for quite a while. Granted, few OSs handle it well. But that's a different problem.

The other OSA simply did an "ARP rollover" and there were not any outages.

Did the new OSA assume the MAC address(es) of the old OSA? Or did you allow other L2 connected devices to learn the new OSA's new MAC address(es)?

Sadly, IMHO, too few systems administrators have any idea what is possible with the hardware / software / network. There are multiple ways to deal with a failed NIC.

Sure, the OSA is a LOT fancier than the average NIC. But that just means that there is more configuration that needs to be done to support such a hot migration.

And that, again, IBM replaced the OSA "hot" and we simply started using it. All automatically.

That's as I would expect it to be.

I am guessing that the mainframe, with it's longer history and more experience, has likely refined the process more than some Open Systems have had the opportunity to do so.

But the Windows people still chant "Windows is BETTER than the mainframe."

Oh, come on.  Windows is better at playing GUI games.  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die