sme...@gmu.edu (Seymour J Metz) writes:
> On the S/360 the Alternate CPU Recovery facility was limited to 65MP
> (I don't know about 9020 or TSS/360.) On MVS it was a standard
> facility, although on an AP or MP without Channel Set Switching losing
> the processor with the I/O channels was fatal. With MVS/XA and later
> I/O was more robust.

360/65MP shared memory ... but processors had their own dedicated
channels, to simulate "shared" i/o, it required controllers with
multi-channel interfaces.

360/67MP had "channel controller" ... that included all channels to be
accessed by all processors .... had bunch of switches to reconfigure
hardware ... and switch settings were visible in the control registers.
It also had hardware multiple paths to memory, introduced additional
latency overhead ... but for I/O intensive workloads (where processors
and I/O could simultaneously be doing transfers) it could have
significant higher throughput (non-MP 360/67 was more like 65 and other
360s, where I/O memory accesses could interfer with cpu memory
accesses). Could order a MP with only one processor and get
channel controller and independent paths to memory.
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/funcChar/A27-2719-0_360-67_funcChar.pdf

Originally 360/67 announcement was for up to four processors (and
the channel controller control register values had fields for
all four processors). However (mostly) just two processors
were built ... except for a special three processor 360/67
done for Lockheed and the manned orbital laboratory project.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Orbiting_Laboratory

tri-plex machine also provided for the configuration switch settings to
be changed by changing the control register values (not just sensing the
switch settings).