From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2019 4:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Just how secure are mainframes? | Trevor Eddolls

How was a mainframe breach detected?  A TSOID trying to access a ton
of files they didn't have access too.

(link to Share PDF 'how hackers breached a government (and a bank)' by
Soldier of Fortran below.)

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1diIq2WmycO9mehmrGwTzmCLbt_KnBvFyhZUCpwxPn1IJCNukCY1aIACm935ADVtNgQ9BnGX9-_ZdmbGpOW-TcEPkRJhzeWPGoSbE6hh0eyPTYszGh-l5PACE5jfh3KLIEM92oz5MCfblU9gLwz9KOrNzu4rB-BJiZOp1XgXRTyOp44a8f0Gw62Ko_399a6NHmu18r7MWMYFDYHTNIplgVtjRSyXA5P_actNC5qVVYdcyYw884CcRvKP2nm-uGgtNoh1YrZLN-0JFynfHDxhITKkKkxUu2KHzqoudEoI_Gh2277euHi3tQuHRVTaQDAppTa7sG9znc8p-gzGCtyFV8IdblA9wVXYVA7b-jG_EC8JUULO5R9q_IpGiE44_F95v8pJTpOBXDv-ZXkmlUMNgFV31lPRBO2M94sqX5PlH5svWBkyD-Ai0BeCBaNk5gys7/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26cad%3Drja%26uact%3D8%26ved%3D2ahUKEwj9qtK9kc7iAhUN-6wKHaMpAewQFjAAegQIABAC%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fshare.confex.com%252Fshare%252F124%252Fwebprogram%252FHandout%252FSession16982%252FHow%252520Hackers%252520Breached%252520a%252520Government%252520%28and%252520a%252520Bank%29.pdf%26usg%3DAOvVaw1lvSNyZEIct1DU7WLqm4hY

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> This whole thread has consistently confused several very different issues:
>
>  1. How secure is z/OS itself?
>
>  2. How secure is 3rd party software?
>
>  3. How secure is the typical shop running z/OS?
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA