My WAG is that FIX=LONG is totally unnecessary. I would omit FIX=LONG to avoid
any possibility of a problem. That would moot your FIX=LONG question.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:33 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: dumb STORAGE OBTAIN question.

I know this is a dumb question in that the answer should obviously be "no
problem". I am messing around with rewriting MVSCPMCD. It currently does
PGFIX & PGFREE to fix and free the areas being communicated to VM as
required for the DIAGNOSE (Hypervisor call) instruction. I was rewriting
the code to use PGSER instead, when it occurred to me that this is only 8K
of real memory. So fixing it for the entire duration of the program really
shouldn't be a problem. This led me to decide to use FIX=LONG on the
STORAGE OBTAIN. After a short discussion with Tom (original author), where
he mentioned not using subpool 0, I was wondering why not just use subpool
223, which is Fixed, Private Storage, ELSQA, owned by the TCB issuing the
request. So I am asking if my assumption that using FIX=LONG on the STORAGE
OBTAIN is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. I am also assuming
that taking 8K out of ELSQA while the program runs is also a "no problem".

--
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown