If you will have the storage fixed for a longer period of time than you
would want
a CONFIG STOR....,OFFLINE to be delayed, then you should specify LONG=YES.
Similarly, in that case, you should use SYSEVENT TRANSWAP instead of
SYSEVENT DONTSWAP to become nonswappable.

  Note that specifying FIX=LONG on STORAGE OBTAIN does not FIX the
storage.  It is simply a hint to RSM that you intend to do a
PGSER FIX, LONG=YES later, so that if RSM backs the page before  that,
it will try to use a frame that won't require the page to be moved when
you subsequently do FIX it.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY

> I know this is a dumb question in that the answer should obviously be
"no
> problem". I am messing around with rewriting MVSCPMCD. It currently does
> PGFIX & PGFREE to fix and free the areas being communicated to VM as
> required for the DIAGNOSE (Hypervisor call) instruction. I was rewriting
> the code to use PGSER instead, when it occurred to me that this is only
8K
> of real memory. So fixing it for the entire duration of the program
really
> shouldn't be a problem. This led me to decide to use FIX=LONG on the
> STORAGE OBTAIN. After a short discussion with Tom (original author),
where
> he mentioned not using subpool 0, I was wondering why not just use
subpool
> 223, which is Fixed, Private Storage, ELSQA, owned by the TCB issuing
the
> request. So I am asking if my assumption that using FIX=LONG on the
STORAGE
> OBTAIN is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. I am also assuming
> that taking 8K out of ELSQA while the program runs is also a "no
problem".